Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mis-Intended Emails, SPLAM!

SPLAM
Definition: Innocent email in your inbox that is meant for someone else.

I got an e-mail the other day from Cecille, about a fundraiser. I do not know this person and this person does not know me. The email was intended for Ms. "Lynne Fung." Thats right, the name in the list of six people who the email was sent to included Ms. Fung with my email adress assigned to her name.
Although I did not want this email, I thought it harsh to call it Spam. I will suggest that innocent emails like these be named "SPLAM"
In another funny incedent earlier this academic year, I recieved an official correspondence from a company who intended the e-mail for my own Mom- to whom I then forwarded it to.

I am now wondering how often Splam is sent aound cyberspace, and I am thinking it is quite common. For another example, the NYU admissions office has an archaic system whereby the online applications are printed and all the information re-typed. For this reason the lucky person with the NJIT ID:jc17 will have gotten a suprise Splamming response where as I, jcl7 would have to wait for snail mail. (Could you tell the difference if this was in print, font size 10???)

Have you ever recieved SPLAM, sent SPLAM, or had SPLAM sent in your name?

3 comments:

  1. Well, there was this:
    http://www.bitsofink.com/2007/05/24/not-spam-exactly/

    Also, I more recently got appropriation orders from a Marine Major to a captain. That was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding:
    "In another funny incedent (sic) earlier this academic year, I recieved (sic)an official correspondence from a company who intended the e-mail for my own Mom- to whom I then forwarded it to."

    You tactfully did not mention what made it really funny - that it was a rejection email from a company with whom I had interviewed. And they thought my skills were not up to speed!

    I know you were disappointed that the job offer for my current job came directly to me, leaving you, the middleman, out.

    And would it be so hard for you guys to run your posts through spellchecker?

    At least you got the whom right.

    the mommy moot

    ReplyDelete