We have a little herb garden in front of our house, but it's really a pain to keep it watered. On an unrelated note, NJ is pretty humid in the summer. The previous owners left a dehumidifier which we turned on the summer that we moved, but the tank fills up quickly, and it's really a pain to keep emptying it. On another unrelated note, during the major storm last month our sump pump was working overtime, pumping water out of the basement ... and into the garden. This got me thinking...
[cue A-Team music]
First I drilled a hole in the dehumidifier tank:
Then, I stuck a spigot into it:
This is what it looked like inside:
To seal the hole, I hot glued the inside and outside around the base of the spigot
Then, I attached a vinyl pipe to the newly tapped tank
And ran the other end of the pipe into the sump pit:
I love it when a plan comes together!