Monday, February 18, 2013

Bookcase standing desk

The other day I got really excited about a few things and I didn't feel like sitting at my desk anymore while doing work ... so I walked over to my bookcase and worked there instead!


After a week or so I became completely used to standing while working and so I moved my monitor and my docking station to the bookcase as you can see below:



It is so far going really well, feels great and when people come in my office I interact with them at eye level in a really casual way.
I had actually tried doing using a standing desk at home but it didn't work. You really need to have a lot of energy for it the be effective. I thought I would use it to make myself more productive (why would I waste time while standing?) but in reality only the most addictive web surfing could get me to stand.
In addition, at home I supported my keyboard and mouse on some boxes and my monitor on a rickety stand. This made it wobbly enough to be a little uncomfortable to use for long periods.

To conclude this post I want to give a shoutout to my friend Austin who is having some fun using his amazing treadmill desk.



3 comments:

  1. Let's see you rig up one of these for adults: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2261948/The-iPad-Potty-A-high-tech-aid-toilet-training.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone at work always stands while working on his computer cause he is at risk for deep vein thrombosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea! You have perfectly found a good use for your bookcase. A standing desk helps avoid potential health risks especially for jobs that require one to sit down for long hours.

    ReplyDelete