Sunday, January 27, 2013

When your Youtube video is copied

I am a huge fan of creative commons and remix culture and so when I saw someone had ripped my kickstarter video and uploaded it to youtube with the text "Please contribute to this kickstarter campaign" I thought that was great - getting the message out!

I was a little weirded out when some actual new sites and blogger embedded the ripped youtube video instead of using Kickstarters nice embed feature. I uploaded my own, HD version to youtube once I noticed this, but it was too late. The version uploaded by "tellytubenow" quickly gathered over 5,000 views and topped youtube searches for Loud Bicycle, burying the "official" video.

After the Kickstarter was over I left a comment on the video; asking him to link to the main Loud Bicycle site instead of the Kickstarter. I thought this would be the end of it but this tellytube character did the strangest thing - I was really surprised and confused.
He disabled comments on the video (hiding mine) and changed the video description to
"Update: Thanks everyone for your support!"
The guy actually removed the link to the Kickstarter he had there earlier! It seemed almost like he was pretending the project was his own. Since then tellytube went ahead and deleted the video ... anyway, it would be great if you "liked" the real video below so that it can recover in the rankings, but if not - that is okay too.

Lesson learned: People love youtube, if you share a video somewhere - also post a copy to youtube.


Feel free to check out some of my other youtube videos going way back to 2006 here.

Also a shout-out to Joel who told me several times to upload the Kickstarter video to youtube ... I should have listened to you Joel!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he just really wants a loud bicycle. It would be hard to take credit for the project, considering you are in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who had a blog and her entire content, all entries, were copied and pasted into another blog. People were following the second blog thinking it was her. It was so bizarre. She actually had to threaten legal action to get them to stop. Glad they took down the video.

    ReplyDelete