Sunday, April 30, 2006

Floating Magnet Experiment, Fun with Superconductors

I was able to convince a few physicists (thanks to the Mathclub) to lend me a superconducting ceramic, a powerful small magnet and to donate a bucket of liquid nitrogen. The complete lack of supervision meant an attempt to freeze off a wart, but besides that we defied gravity by floating the magnet.
As I told the Mathclub, We're not lifting spaceships out of swamps but its still cool.

Highlight:
After dipping my hand in the liquid N, I said "I didn't feel anything" to which David replied "You won't feel anything ever again!"

Note: No permanent damage, although the entropy of the universe increased significantly.



See the Mathclub page about it here.

1 comment:

  1. three cheers for entropy! resistance is futile!

    ReplyDelete