Thursday, July 17, 2008

Not Photoshop

I recently came across a rather nifty optical device. Here is a demonstration:
    1) First take a polarizer and place it in front of an LCD monitor so that the monitor looks black:

    2) Then put the mystery device between the polarizer and the monitor, and behold:
    In case you can't tell from the pictures, the mystery device allows you to see the bit of LCD it's covering (and no, this has not been Photoshopped).

    This is what the monitor looks like through the thing:
    The difference between the two pictures is from rotating the device. There is no angle where the screen is completely blacked out - just a variation from yellowish to blueish color.

    I think I know what it is, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone knows what it is?


    1. That is a cool device. I have some vague guesses on how it could work, but nothing concrete enough to post.

    2. Looks like a tire gauge.