Thursday, July 31, 2008

How hard could it be...

As my mother documented, last Sunday we moved. However, before we moved, as I noted last week, we were having FiOS installed.
Before installation, the FiOS propaganda informed me, I needed to be sure that I had, among other things, a three-prong outlet available for plugging in the Optical Network Interface (ONT). Our basement had a total of three outlets in it at the time. One for the sump pump, and two on a wall which splits the basement in half. So, clearly, we needed to get a new outlet installed. But, the thing is, I didn't know where to install it, as the ONT was not yet in the house. So I called Verizon. (Here we go....)
I asked them where the ONT would be installed, in order to run an outlet. This is a basic summary of the call:
Me: There are no free outlets in my basement, where should I put a new one so I can plug in the ONT.
Verizon: Oh, we don't know that before they run the fiber to your house.
Me: But I'm supposed to have an outlet ready for it beforehand...?
Verizon: Yes.
Me: So you're telling me I need to guess where the ONT will go?
Verizon: Oh, no, of course not. You just need to have an outlet ready.
Me: Yes, but there are NO outlets.
Verizon: So make sure you have an electrician install one where the ONT will go before your FiOS installation.
Me: And you don't see a problem here...
[...]
Verizon: Also, be sure you have an electrician run a network cable from the ONT to your computer, since we don't fish the walls anymore. [It turns out, they do, but I didn't know that at the time.]
Me: So I not only need to have an outlet run to an unknown location, I also need to have a network cable run from an unknown location to my computer.
Verizon: No, not from an unknown location, from the ONT!
Me: Which isn't installed anywhere yet!
Verizon: Yes, but you need to be sure to have a power outlet and network cable for it before installation.
Me: AARRRRGH!!!
It wasn't until the third service rep that anyone realized this line of reasoning wouldn't work. Anyway, eventually we decided that the ONT would share the plug with the sump pump. Of course, that wasn't where the fiber eventually came into the house, so now we have phone and internet service courtesy of 2 extension cords plugged into a ceiling lamp with a 2 prong to three prong adaptor.

But we're not done yet. Cutting out a lengthy (and mildly amusing) story involving not having enough fiber, I'll skip to the best part. The guy goes up in the cherry picker to hook the fiber to the first pole, and on his way down, the boom gets stuck:
He couldn't go up or down, and was stuck there until a mobile tow truck/crane came about an hour or two later:
Meanwhile, the other install technician, continued doing what he did most of the day:
Verizon claims that the installation would take anywhere between 4-6 hours. It took them 9 hours, 15 minutes. Had they not screwed things up in advance, and had the truck not broken, and had cellphone dude been mildly motivated or intelligent, it would have taken them under 4 hours.

In any case, it was installed in the end, and I even got back to our apartment barely in time for Shabbat. Then on Sunday we moved:
Before:

After:

Thank you VERY much to everyone who helped us out!(missing from the picture: Jesse A.)

I think this picture of Aryeh sums up how we all felt by the end of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment