Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Favorite Gmail Labs Features

Google has made quite a few labs features for Gmail. There are a few which I have found to be infinitely useful.
  1. Undo Send
    This is my number 1 favorite feature of any email program of all time!
    "Stop messages from being sent for a few seconds after hitting the send button." It seems like a silly feature but I've used it countless times - almost all in very critical situations!

  2. Offline Gmail
    "Access your inbox through your browser and use Gmail's familiar features when you're offline." You can even send messages to your magic 'outbox', something I miss from the stand alone program Juno days before Web2.0

  3. Title Tweaks
    For the obsessive emailers among us, "Changes order of elements in the browser title bar from "Gmail - Inbox (20) - ****@gmail.com" to "Inbox (20) - ***@gmail.com - Gmail". This way you are able to see if a new mail has arrived even if Gmail window is minimized.

  4. Canned Responses
    "Email for the truly lazy. Save and then send your common messages using a button next to the compose form. Also automatically send emails using filters."

  5. Forgotten Attachment Detector
    I've never actully needed this one, but one day I'm sure it will come in handy. "Prevents you from accidentally sending messages without the relevant attachments. Prompts you if you mention attaching a file, but forgot to do so."

  6. Filters
    This feature has already graduated labs. Any time I get a message I would never care to read right away, I filter it so the next time it skips my inbox and gets labled.
As always, google is really funny:


"Adding attachments while in Offline or Flaky mode is currently not supported.
"We know this is tooootally lame. But don't forget, Gmail didn't have basic stuff like drafts when it launched. We'll keep working on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment